Injured at Another Person's Property? Get Free Legal Advice

Compensation for Trespassers Injured at Dangerous Properties

Despite the apparent contradiction of a homeowner or tenant being responsible for the safety of those illegally entering a house or garden, the law does in fact offer protection for unlawful visitors to private properties, who will be able to claim compensation if an occupier has failed to take reasonable measures to protect them from hazards. Such hazards would include broken glass, chemical garden products, tools, building materials, and outdoor features at a property that a trespasser might foreseeably use, such as swimming pools and ponds.

The duty of care that occupiers of private properties owe to trespassers is set out in the Occupiers' Liability Act 1984. Under this legislation, homeowners and tenants must take reasonable care to ensure that trespassers are kept safe from potential hazards at a property, particularly those that an occupier is aware of and that an unlawful visitor is likely to encounter, as an accident in such circumstances would be entirely foreseeable, but could have been prevented had the occupier behaved in a reasonable manner. Contact us and ask; what are my rights if I was hurt whilst trespassing?

  • The Occupiers' Liability Act 1984
  • What Measures Should Occupiers Take to Prevent Trespassing?
  • Claiming Compensation for Trespassers Injured at Dangerous Properties
  • Our Experience With Accidents at Home
  • The Claims Process
  • Your Compensation
Section 1(3) of the Occupiers Liability Act 1984 provides: 'An occupier of premises owes a duty to another (not being his visitor) in respect of any such risk as is referred to in subsection (1) above if:

(a) he is aware of the danger or has reasonable grounds to believe that it exists;

(b) he knows or has reasonable grounds to believe that the other is in the vicinity of the danger concerned or that he may come into the vicinity of the danger (in either case, whether the other has lawful authority for being in that vicinity or not); and

(c) the risk is one against which, in all the circumstances of the case, he may reasonably be expected to offer the other some protection.'

In summary, despite what some may think, trespassers can in some circumstances bring a claim against an occupier despite the fact that they had no right to be on the land in the first place.
To meet their duty of care requirements, occupiers are expected to fence off private property, and should post signs to warn trespassers about possible hazards and to deter them from illegally entering a property. This is especially important in the context of children trespassing, as the law recognises the fact that children may be too young to understand the concept of trespass, and are naturally inquisitive, meaning that it is foreseeable that they will illegally enter properties and be exposed to the risk of injury unless effective measures are taken to stop them.
If you or your child have been injured while trespassing on private property, it will sometimes be possible to claim compensation from the homeowner or occupier for a breach of their duty of care. Our firm specialises in claims for accidents at private properties, and can advise trespassers injured through no fault of their own on their rights. Contact us today in the strictest confidence for free and dependable legal advice.
We have won a variety of cases for clients who have been injured at rented properties, ranging from a claim on behalf of a tenant who fell down poorly lit communal stairs, to a claim on behalf of a child who was injured by discarded building materials at a rented property.
Claiming with us is easy. Get a free no obligation initial consultation about your case, your rights, and our no win no fee agreement. All information can be taken over the phone. Medical treatment is local to you. We aim to keep the claims process short by keeping claims out of court. If your claim does need to go to court it is unlikely that you will need to attend court, as cases settle before the final hearing.
Compensation will pay for private healthcare treatment. It will also cover:

  • Physiotherapy
  • Psychological therapy
  • Expenses (such as the cost of travel to hospital appointments)
  • Loss of income
  • Household adaptations

  • The amount of compensation you receive will depend on the severity of your injuries and the likelihood that you’ll make a full recovery. We’ll seek expert opinions on what care you’ll need to ensure that the compensation we claim will be sufficient.

    Why Choose Bartletts Solicitors?

    Solid Traditional Values Delivered
    in a Modern Convenient Manner

    Every year we help over a thousand injured people make claims for compensation on a no win no fee basis. Many are tenants claiming against their landlords.

    We help tenants claim for personal injury, such as slips, falls and injuries caused by unsafe structures.

    Our service is designed to be easy to use: meetings by phone & email, local medical appointments, sign documents online, or visit our city centre offices.

    Our solicitors are very experienced having worked at the firm for an average of 18 years.

    Send Our Housing Law Team an Enquiry:

    Housing Law Team:

    Accident at Home Solicitors
    Our housing law solicitors (Nicola Perry, Trevor Morris, Sian Taylor and Lydia Windrow) are real specialists each with years of experience.

    Call now for your free consultation. We guarantee you a warm welcome and a lawyer with the expertise that you would expect from a leading housing law firm.

    Accident Claims Caused by Disrepair We Have Won:

    Accident and Disrepair Topics:

    Bartletts is proud to support a number of public bodies and charities, including Liverpool Cathedral, National Museums Liverpool, the Walker Art Gallery and Zoë’s Place Baby Hospice. You can find out more on our blog or on social media.

    “I was delighted Bartletts Solicitors continued their tradition of philanthropy with Liverpool Cathedral this year. Thank you so much for your generous gift.” - The Dean of Liverpool, The Very Revd Dr. Sue Jones (Dec 2020)