How To Sue A Dead Person's Estate No Win No Fee

Spouses, civil partners, cohabitees, children and dependents may claim against the estate of a deceased person if they have not received an inheritance, or if the deceased has failed to make adequate financial provision for them.

The law affords protection for those who were financially dependent on the deceased if they belong to one of the categories outlined in the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975.

Child Can Claim Against An Estate If Not Included In A Will

Natural children of a deceased person may apply for financial provision from the latter’s estate under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependents) Act 1975 if they have not been reasonably provided for financially due to the intestacy rules or under the terms of a valid will. There are many reasons why a child may have been excluded from a will or not received adequate financial provision, but as a close relative they will have a strong claim on the estate of their deceased parent. A child may also make a dependency claim if they were not a natural child of the deceased, but were treated as a child of the family in relation to any marriage or civil partnership entered into by the deceased at any time in the past.

Cohabiting Person Can Claim Against Partner's Estate

Increasing numbers of people in Britain choose to cohabit rather than marrying or entering a civil partnership, and despite the fact that common law marriage does not actually exist under UK law, a cohabitee can still claim against their deceased partner’s estate even if the latter dies intestate or fails to make reasonable financial provision for them. The surviving cohabitee will need to show either that they lived with the deceased for 2 years prior to their death as if they were a husband, wife or civil partner, or alternatively that they were financially maintained by the deceased, wholly or in part, in the period immediately prior to the latter’s death.

Other Dependents Can Claim Against An Estate

A dependent is legally defined as a person for whom a deceased person may reasonably have been expected to provide for in their will. A person will need to show that they were financially dependent on the deceased, either wholly or partly (but substantially), and were being maintained in this manner prior to the death of the deceased. This being the case, the dependent may then claim reasonable financial provision from the estate of the deceased, if the latter died intestate or if they failed to make adequate provision for their dependent.

Solicitors Claiming Against Probate Estates

Contested wills, probate disputes and dependency claims can be extremely complex, lengthy and difficult to resolve. There is a 6 month time limit for contesting the terms of a will from the date of the grant of representation, and for this reason non-beneficiaries and those family or dependents who feel they have not been adequately provided for should seek legal advice at the earliest opportunity. Bartletts Solicitors can handle your claim on a No Win No Fee basis, and have a dedicated team of solicitors specialising in all aspects of wills and probate disputes.

Louise Nelson is a solicitor with over 25 years experience in wills, trusts & probate matters. She will be happy to offer you a free telephone or face to face consultation.

The Legal 500 Guide

The Legal 500 analyses the practices and strengths of the UK's leading law firms.


I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your service. I found your firm's service to be of a high standard and professional. On my behalf can you thank all those who dealt with my case. Especially Miss Evans who dealt with my claim at the time.

Mr Hughes - Manchester