Injured at Home? Get Free Legal Advice

Why Choose Bartletts Solicitors?

Solid Traditional Values Delivered
In A Modern Convenient Manner

Every year we help over a thousand injured people make claims for compensation on a no win no fee basis. Many of these claims are for accidents at rented properties.

We are unable to help if a tenant is claiming for disrepair only (the claim must also be for personal injury).

Our service is designed to be easy to use: meetings by phone & email, local medical appointments, sign documents online, or visit our city centre offices.

Our solicitors are very experienced having worked at the firm for an average of 18 years.

  • Concerns About The Quality Of Rental Accommodation In The UK
  • What To Do After Suffering Personal Injury Due To Defective Premises
  • Suing A Landlord For Personal Injury: Damp Related Illnesses
  • Suing A Landlord For Personal Injury: An Unsafe Boiler Leading To Gas Poisoning
  • No Win No Fee Solicitors For Suing A Landlord For Personal Injury
In April 2015, a group of over 80 UK charities and community groups, including Oxfam, Amnesty International, Save the Children and Unicef, came together as the Just Fair Consortium to publish a report into homelessness and the cost and quality of rental accommodation in the UK. The report entitled ‘Protecting the Right to Housing in England: A Context of Crisis’ argues that the British Government is breaching its human rights obligations under international law by failing to provide its citizens with an adequate standard of living.

The report states that 33% of private rental accommodation in the UK does not meet ‘basic standards of health, safety and habitability’ as defined by the Government’s ‘Decent Homes Standard’, meaning that one on three tenants are currently living in unsafe conditions and properties that are unfit for habitation. The same issues apply to the social housing sector. The report goes on to say that tenants are often unwilling to complain to landlords about the state of their accommodation due to fears that they will be evicted or that their rent will rise in retaliation.
If you are living in a property which is in a state of disrepair the first step is to write to the landlord detailing the problems. Under the Housing Disrepair Protocol 2003 a landlord will be obliged to address your concerns within 20 working days. If a landlord fails to address legitimate issues raised by a tenant concerning the state of a property, they may be liable to a compensation claim for disrepair. Tenants in this situation who have been injured by the disrepair can call our solicitors about suing a landlord for personal injury. Unfortunately, we are unable to help if the claim is for disrepair only. For a claim to succeed a qualified surveyor or environmental health officer will need to examine the property, and expert medical evidence may be required to prove that disrepair to the property has been the primary cause of an injury, or that a risk to health exists.
Damage to property, and the resulting need for repair may relate to the structure of the house, the state of internal appliances, or a general lack of maintenance. One common disrepair problem is where roofs, windows or gutters leak, causing water to penetrate the inside of the property. If disrepair of this kind is left unattended, damp may spread through wooden structures such as window frames, causing them to rot. Damp in itself is an unpleasant problem to live with and over-exposure to it can cause asthma. Mould resulting from damp can also cause a variety of medical conditions.
Another area of disrepair relates to services provided at a property, such as gas, electrics and water. An unrepaired boiler or faulty radiator may lead to extended periods without hot water or heating. A defective gas fire may even poison a tenant by letting out carbon monoxide fumes. All such systems and appliances must be working, in a state of good repair and safe to use. Landlords must also make sure that the external visage of the property is well maintained, including roof tiling and drainage piping. Compensation awards for disrepair are also likely to be high if a property has been infested by rodents or insects.
We can help you claim compensation from your landlord. Our specialist solicitors can also help claim compensation from a housing association or from the council housing department. We can claim compensation for a personal injury caused by housing disrepair and we can claim compensation for suffering caused by housing disrepair. So, if you, your family, or friends have been hurt by housing disrepair call us today. Call us today and find out how to sue a landlord for personal injury with our no win no fee agreement.

How Can Bartletts Solicitors Help You?

A free no obligation quick case assessment, followed by a No Win No Fee claim.

We help you recover whatever you have lost financially whilst injured.

Get back on your feet as quickly as possible with expert medical care.

We take all the stress out of the claim and ensure you recover everything you are entitled to.

If you are a tenant needing some advice contact our specialist solicitors by sending a message via the contact form below:

Personal Injury Team:

Accident at Home Solicitors
Our personal injury solicitors (Nicola Perry, Trevor Morris, Sian Taylor and Lydia Windrow) are real specialists each with years of experience.

Call now for your free consultation. We guarantee you a warm welcome and a lawyer with the expertise that you would expect from a leading personal injury firm.

Accident At Home Cases We Have Won:

Accident At Home Topics:

Recent Client Reviews: